Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Being a Brahmin, a fixation I suppose

As I write this post, I am probably asking myself what’s this fixation with Brahmins or being Brahmins. Talking their way, thinking their way, conducting their way. I studied in a convent, wore short skirts and of course had many Christian friends, also ate non-veg and married to a non-Brahmin, what I am, a total mess, a cross I suppose. And, my son, what is he? Half Mallu and half brahmin. My in-laws do not know about this blog of mine, am sure I will be quarantined or disowned for sure. The irony is my FIL who hates Brahmins has to put to with me by default.

Blatant duplicity:
You want your child to study in a convent but should not follow their way of living, talking and behaving, how is it possible, am throwing this question to everyone around, are you hearing?

Those people who don’t eat non-veg at home but go out to eat the same and at the same time make their wives and sisters sit outside their house for those three days (you know what I am talking about) but brush against other women in buses, trains and offices, does it really make any sense. Also, make them wear nine-yards in this sweltering heat. Can I call it hypocrisy, double standards and duplicity.

And there are people like us who hang in between, rebels I suppose, neither leave the tradition nor follow it fully. Talk like Brahmins but behave hip-hop, you know I care nothing for these traditions and say am very trendy. God, please give me a break, I guess we either stick to rules or never follow.

Shifting to Brahmin mode:
Frankly speaking, I too enjoy if my boss is a Brahmin, oh is he Srinivasan or Srikanth, then I guess he must be a Brahmin. Well, now I can get that extra mileage, whenever I want leave I can talk our language, impress him and go on a holiday.

Where is it leading, any idea, especially on a country which is secular and relies on youngsters like us.