Monday, September 24, 2007

T20- What a match!

Generally I don’t watch cricket, but Twenty20 World Cup was a little inviting because of limited overs. The entire office was excited about India Vs Pakistan match, we had projectors in our open cafeteria and everyone was talking about it, so the tempo was building. Received messages about where I would be watching it. I was like may be will watch it if I have a company, called my hubby about his plans, he was like I need to do a presentation sweetheart, so would you call me later, there again, I thought may be I shouldn’t have called him. Finally, found a company, it was my sister, brother-in-law and Dad at my place. We had cutlets and Tea ready and pakodas were made, as my father loves it. Watched India batting, expected Yuvraj’s sixes but he disappointed me, anyway he did play his part during the series.

Now, it was Pakistan playing. Was a little tensed, as nothing was clear, their batting order was superb, wonder what these guys eat, they just have to touch the ball, it touches the boundaries. Was biting my nails, need to polish them again. By the time the match got over, I had headache, acidity, my blood pressure shot up and of course ignored my son till the match got over.
Every time India got a wicket, we were like so excited, you should have seen my father, he would have smoked at least 15 cigars, not joking, whenever Pak hit a six or a four. When it was only 5 runs for Pak to win, I promised myself that I will never watch India Vs Pakistan, why undergo unnecessary tension. When Misbah ul-Haq threatened to steal victory from India, I was feeling totally depressed, do I even need a reason to get depressed, it sets on me in no time. Surely, it was a match of many twists and turns and we delivered world class cricket and India became the champions of Twenty20.

My father started dancing, so cute, he called his friends, congratulated them, as though they played in the field, so thrilled about the triumph. Crackers were burst and it was a fitting finale to the series. After all we deserved to win. By the way forgot to mention about King Khan, I believe the entire Chak De team was watching the match, saw him wishing the team in the end, truly adore him. There is something about India Vs Pakistan match, those who dislike cricket will also not miss to watch it, some how patriotic feelings creep in and am sure such a game should not to be watched by weak-hearted ones like me. The game of cricket has finally won.

2 comments:

None said...

Agree.
Above all, its a game, so why should the patriotic fervour spring only for India-Pak matches. It is exciting even if the 2 were friends, as the level of competition is close and intense. Take India-SL for instance. To me, India beating Aus was victory on its own.
Keep writing, undettered.

Prabhakar said...

Similar scenes were seen in our office too. I stopped watching after the flurry of sixes. It was a close shave