Saturday, September 22, 2007

The unconditional love in my life


I have never seen him so happy for a long time now, Yes, honestly. Yesterday (September 22) was my father’s birthday. He turned 55. We were excited about his birthday, planned to dine at a hotel in the evening, but he was hesitant because of India Vs Australia match. Daughters coaxed him to step out. Finally, we were at GRT.

He means a lot to me, he is one person in my life who pours out unconditional love. He is there for me always. Words cannot describe the amount of love and respect I for him, I know parents are important for all and they are there for us, but don’t you think they are just taken for granted all the time. Yell at them, disrespect and do everything possible to hurt. Anyway, to me he is my breath. My father is a very simple man. Simple means really simple. You won’t believe we all had great dinner, all that he had was curd rice, he could have had that at home. After a couple of drinks, he just said today has been my best birthday. Got to spend this beautiful day with my grandson (my son) and of course us. Kept thanking us, holding our hands and hugging us, never seen him so emotional.
When I fall sick, though my husband is around to take care, I feel I will be okay only when my father takes me to the doctor, somehow just can’t imagine a life without him, totally dependent, In fact sister and I chose a house near my dad’s place as we knew for sure we cannot be without seeing him. As I am writing tears roll down my cheek. I guess I am getting a little emotional. Check out the photo (top) we took on his birthday. Memorable moments.

2 comments:

None said...

The best of writing is what comes straight from the heart. Touched. Keep it going.

Lakshmy Venkiteswaran said...

Dad - a person that can make your world go topsy-turvy with just a look! Damn, how I love my dad! Emotions are so strong that sometimes I'm scared silly at its intensity. I understand where you're coming from. Indians, especially, we take our parents for granted. We like to believe that its our birthright to expect from our parents. This may be right until you reach certain age and position in life where you become independent and stop bothering your parents.
Once upon a time, my relationship with my dad can be described in 1 word - volatile. Now it has mellowed down to such an extent that I quietly listen to anything he has to say or yell or accuse. I do this after realising one thing - my temper, judgements and every good or bad character I possess comes from my dad. So who the hell am I to judge him when almost everything he has, I have it too?!
Cherish the moments with your dad. Those moments will be the only legacy you'll b left with.